Running a few miles in a "new" pair of shoes


If you're reading this, it probably means you were navigated to my blog through a random filter or unsuccessful search engine. Unfortunate for you, good for me. If you read my blog you will find out that I am a 20-something, overweight female who picked up a pair of running shoes one day and decided to go for a jog. This is where I document my journey toward becoming an avid "runner", whatever that is. It may seem like a silly experiment, and it is. But it's also more than that. I am running for health, happiness and strength. I'm running to live.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

New Shoes for Big_Shoes

Have I mentioned how much I actively dislike FedEx? They refuse to drop packages off in our building's entry way like every other delivery service does, and our apartment bell doesn't work, so if we can't spend all day with our heads out the window playing "Spot the Delivery Guy" we don't get our packages. They claim our street is a "high risk" area, and absolutely refuse to leave it unless someone is able to sign for it... EVEN when I sign the box on the delivery notification acknowledging that I release them from liability, and please leave the damn package. Can someone explain this to me? No one at FedEx seems able to.

Anyway, the package we were expecting this time was for Big_Shoes - a college buddy had sent him some zombie video game he's been drooling over for months, and needless to say, he was a bit anxious to get it. Worked out well for me, because I was able to convince him to join me for my first Week 3 run, which just happened to end at the local FedEx center, about 2 miles away.

It wasn't the prettiest run; most of it was spent dodging ice patches and poorly paved sidewalks in a high-traffic industrial hell zone. But it was the longest run I've done to date (just over 2 miles) and I think we followed the Week 3 training schedule pretty well! Package in hand, we rewarded ourselves with a quick lunch and caught a bus most of the way home.

In what is quickly becoming a pattern of behavior, I suggested we drop in to the Salvation Army to see if they had gotten any more waffle irons in. No luck, but we did find Big_Shoes some (almost) new_shoes! We got a great pair of durable snow boots and and a new pair of running shoes for twenty bucks. Both need laces, but they are brand name, his size, in incredible shape, and should last him awhile. This is a huge accomplishment for me because I can almost never convince Big_Shoes to own more than one pair of shoes at any given time. He'd rather pretend not to notice when the shreds of rubber and cloth on his feet cease to resemble his original purchase. Only downside: with two new pairs of size 13s floating around, our apartment is starting to feel a bit smaller..

No comments:

Post a Comment