Running a few miles in a "new" pair of shoes


If you're reading this, it probably means you were navigated to my blog through a random filter or unsuccessful search engine. Unfortunate for you, good for me. If you read my blog you will find out that I am a 20-something, overweight female who picked up a pair of running shoes one day and decided to go for a jog. This is where I document my journey toward becoming an avid "runner", whatever that is. It may seem like a silly experiment, and it is. But it's also more than that. I am running for health, happiness and strength. I'm running to live.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Cleared Paths and Bubble Baths


Hey Look! I have found me a little piece of motivation! Now if only I could get it blown up to 6'x4' dimensions to hang on my ceiling I may actually be inspired to get up and get moving in the morning instead of throwing my alarm across the room and hiding under the covers. Why did I choose this picture as my motivation, you ask? Well, Lucky for you I have made a list for your convenience:
  • The sunrise makes me think of new days, and new chances. Doesn't matter what happened yesterday, today is a brand new day!
  • Oh.. it's a sunset you say? Well then... sunsets make me think of the peace of mind that comes with knowing you have made it through another day. Looking into the distance, you can see just how far you have come, and the road ahead doesn't seem so far.
  • Hello - It's the open road. What better symbolism could there be for the endless range of possibilities that every day holds. What better way to show that life really does have direction, and you, my friend, are on that path! Only one way to go - forward! So get moving.
  • It's purty.
  • Yes, I'd like to be running on that road. But I'd also like to be driving on it. It makes me think of the cross-country road trip Big_Shoes and I are taking this August. The road trip symbolizes the end of my Master's program, the completion of a major life goal, the reward of adventure, and my first chance to see my family in over a year. Being healthy and energetic for this trip of a lifetime makes me WANT to go out and run, and reminds me of other dreams I am accomplishing.
Just looking at it makes me want to go out and run right now. Except not. Because I already got a great run in today. I am officially on the second week of C25K, and I tweaked the program just a little so that I am running for two minutes, walking for two. Not much different from what I was doing before - but it feels good to be making PROGRESS! Big_Shoes had to go into work today for an hour this morning, but we decided that when he was done we would meet in town for lunch at this new restaurant we've been dying to try. Yesterday, I stumbled upon a GREAT little bike path near our apartment that goes straight into town and is kept clear all year round, and meeting for lunch gave me the perfect opportunity to try it out. It was the perfect length/time, I didn't have to worry about ice or traffic, and most importantly, there were plenty of cute PUPPIES to look at!

Once I got into town, I met up with Big_Shoes and we had the most amazing - although ridiculously unhealthy - lunch at an amazing deal, thanks to my new favorite website, Groupon. Each day they offer up a new deal, almost always at least 50 percent off at restaurants, bars, spas, gyms and all sorts of other services for the city you live in. We paid $15.00 for $30.00 worth of food, and I got my coupon emailed to me in a couple hours! Okay, so perhaps it's not "running" or "fitness" related per say, but I have seen some great deals on gym memberships, dancing classes, ski trips etc. so that is how I justify this particular shameless plug. Plus it helps me save up for those new running shoes, right? Yeah..

Anyway, after we gorged ourselves on pulled chicken sandwiches (me) and pig and cow ribs (him) we took the much-needed walk home, and enjoyed the time laughing and joking with each other. We stopped by the Salvation Army on the way home- we were hoping to pick up the waffle maker we've been eying for the past couple weeks but it was gone! - and I found the coolest old bathroom scale, probably from the 70s at least. It was in fine working condition, according to the grimace on my face when I hopped on, so for $3.00 it got to come home with us, along with a nifty 1980's style ear warmer that they threw in for free. So now I will be able to protect my ears from frostbite AND track my progress in a whole new way.

After all of that excitement and productivity (and cholesterol) I can't think of anything better right now than a hot bath and a good book, followed by my first **gasp** OFFICIAL weigh in of 2010.

2 comments:

  1. That picture is amazing! I'm saving that myself! We finally had a heat wave of 22 above 0 today so I'm headed out shortly. I love that I"m feeling somewhat accountable after reading your posts too. Its motivating for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice comment! Thank you, Sarah. I started the blog thinking it would only be for myself, as a diary of sorts to keep track of my progress, but I've found that the thoughts and ideas shared/stolen from others is way more motivating than anything swimming around in my head. Hopefully we can both keep each other on track to reach our goals!

    ReplyDelete