Running a few miles in a "new" pair of shoes


If you're reading this, it probably means you were navigated to my blog through a random filter or unsuccessful search engine. Unfortunate for you, good for me. If you read my blog you will find out that I am a 20-something, overweight female who picked up a pair of running shoes one day and decided to go for a jog. This is where I document my journey toward becoming an avid "runner", whatever that is. It may seem like a silly experiment, and it is. But it's also more than that. I am running for health, happiness and strength. I'm running to live.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

The high you can't get from your cousin's brownies..

SUCCESS! Huge, heaping piles of it!

My first week four run is complete - my longest and most difficult run to date. And I loved every minute of it. I'll admit, I was feeling pretty anxious about it this morning, and even secretly hoped for some ominous snow clouds to appear so that I could stay bundled up in bed, guilt-free. But despite temperatures barely reaching 20 degrees, the skies were blue and clear and by mid afternoon the wind had cooled down as well. So, fresh out of good excuses, I mapped a new run that I have been wanting to try on dailymile and headed for the door.

After being caught unprepared in ridiculously low temperatures two days in a row, I was determined to be as prepared as possible. I wore a jogging tank top, a sweatshirt, and an insulated wind-breaker with leggings and long pants. I also borrowed a thick beanie from Big_Shoes and picked up a pair of gloves for $1.00 at the Salvation Army on my way (I lost the left glove to my other pair on the bus yesterday). In the end, I stayed just warm enough to keep the circulation going, without getting too warm or burdened down with bulky clothes. I can see why people shell out the bucks for special sweat-wicking material though, and if I had the money you can bet I would be investing in some, particularly as my runs get longer and.. well.. sweatier. I had to peel of the layers when I got home.

But let's get back to the run itself. As I moved on to Week 4, I knew I needed a longer route, something that would keep me more focused than just running circles around the neighborhood blocks. When I tracked my run, I was worried it was a bit ambitious for the weather and my first workout at a new week, but I figured I would just turn back early if I couldn't do it. Not only did I not turn back, but I made it to my destination (a train station in the next town) with perfect timing, just as I was finishing the last running segment of the workout. I took the subway back, hoping I could catch the bus home, but when I realized the bus did not come for another hour, it just made more sense to run home as well (It was WAY too cold to walk).

In total, I ran/walked 4.07 miles, and although the last five minutes were the toughest part of the program I have faced so far, I still felt amazing! Maybe this is the elusive "running high" I have been hearing so much about. Or maybe it just feels great to see progress happen, and know that my body is stronger and healthier and more comfortable in its own skin. I can hardly even remember the person who was out of breath with a horrible side-ache after a ten minute trip around the corner. Maybe someday, when 4 mile runs are about as challenging as a hangnail, I will look back and try to remember who I was now.

So now I am off to take the longest, hottest shower of my life (did I mention heat and hot water is included in our rent?) and spend the rest of my night snuggled up in doors and drinking my hot cocoa with peppermint schnapps. Mmmm.. Schnapps. Somehow, a lazy evening at home seems way more enticing now that I know I have earned it.

2 comments:

  1. YEAH! I'm so proud of you! Such awesome motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! After today's set of little disasters I definitely needed that!

    ReplyDelete