Running a few miles in a "new" pair of shoes


If you're reading this, it probably means you were navigated to my blog through a random filter or unsuccessful search engine. Unfortunate for you, good for me. If you read my blog you will find out that I am a 20-something, overweight female who picked up a pair of running shoes one day and decided to go for a jog. This is where I document my journey toward becoming an avid "runner", whatever that is. It may seem like a silly experiment, and it is. But it's also more than that. I am running for health, happiness and strength. I'm running to live.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Check, please.

Yesterday's little photograph gave me a bit more inspiration than I bargained for. Today was a seriously productive day, and we were able to check many things off our growing list entitled Things-That-Should-Really-Probably-Get-Done-Soon.

This morning, Big_Shoes and I spent some time writing out much-overdo thank you notes to just a couple of the MANY wonderful people in our lives and were even able to deliver them to the mailbox before the post service came and went. That's two boxes checked. Then I got dressed for a run and set off with a bag full of a half dozen or so library books that needed to be returned. Caught the bus and a train to the downtown library, dropped off the books (Check), and then ran home from the train station via my new favorite community path. Another check. I even popped into the drugstore on the way home to pick up some face wash and FINALLY conquered the hill to our apartment. Check, check.

While I was gone, Big_Shoes stayed home and got some serious cleaning done - even scrubbing the infamously stubborn cooked-on grit off of the stove top, which probably deserves an extra check. After getting some quarters from the local laundromat (by pretending to do someone else's laundry) we were even able to do 2 loads of our own laundry in the basement of our apartment complex - which now costs us a ridiculous $3.50/load! That's at least one check for each load.

Now, I'm winding down the night by folding said clothes (which, regrettably, I almost never do) and finishing up some readings for my quickly approaching spring semester. Double check. Of course, all of this is happening to the soundtrack of the lovely Nora Jones playing on Pandora.com with the relaxing hint of gunfire and explosives in the background. (Big_Shoes got a new shoot 'em up video game from GameFly today and ours is a small apartment to say the least). I'm sure I could say something about the value of compromise in cohabitation here, but instead I'll just turn Norah's volume up.

So all in all, that looks like a total of... 12 items checked off of my list, in a single productive but enjoyable Saturday. Oh wait, let's make that 13; looks like I finally got around to updating the blog! Check.

3 comments:

  1. What kind of cook top do you have? We have a flat top and the only product that will actually get all the grime and grit off it are the Mr Clean Magic Erasers. I dont know whats in them but they work really well with one swipe. Are you an xbox widow as well? My hub has a love affair with Call of Duty. Its crazy how lifelike they can make the games these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that. xbox widow. Big_Shoes has Call of Duty on the top of his wish list, but we've agreed not to buy any video games, movies or magazines this year to try and cut back on spending and clutter. He's been using GameFly instead, which means I get at least a few days of reprieve while he's waiting for the next one to come in the mail. PS: Magic Erasers have just been added to this weeks grocery shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude don't let him start call of duty. I have fantasies of "accidentally" pushing the machine off the shelf while dusting. Granted there are worse places he could be than in the basement playing video games but its so annoying.

    ReplyDelete