Running a few miles in a "new" pair of shoes


If you're reading this, it probably means you were navigated to my blog through a random filter or unsuccessful search engine. Unfortunate for you, good for me. If you read my blog you will find out that I am a 20-something, overweight female who picked up a pair of running shoes one day and decided to go for a jog. This is where I document my journey toward becoming an avid "runner", whatever that is. It may seem like a silly experiment, and it is. But it's also more than that. I am running for health, happiness and strength. I'm running to live.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Battle Scars

I finally got my last Week 3 run in, and I was surprised at how easy it had become - even after missing a few days. In the interest of keeping it challenging, I am planning on moving to Week 4 this weekend, even though the butterflies in my stomach would prefer to hang out in my comfort zone.

Not that putting one foot in front of the other doesn't have its own challenges. As I type, I proudly display my very first battle scar in the form of a quarter-sized scrape on my knee. For over a month I have been running in snow and ice, and the one day we get blue skies and sunshine, I manage to fall on my face. Luckily for me, I was wearing gloves and leggings that softened the blow from the rough concrete. Even luckier, no one was around to see me trip over my own feet. The whole thing seemed to happen in slow motion, and by the time I picked myself up I was laughing rather loudly (again, thankfully their were no witnesses to my clumsiness). I don't know what I found funny, but I do know that I can't even REMEMBER the last time I scraped my knee. Probably hasn't happened since I was at least eleven or so (around the age where the Big Toy brings more embarrassment than adventure), so the whole thing was just exciting for some inexplicable reason.

After my near-death experience, I realized that the same day-dreaming that had caused me to trip over a crack in the sidewalk had also caused me to get pretty well lost (yes, it is possible to get lost in your own neighborhood, thank you). Getting back on familiar ground tacked on another 10-15 minutes on my normal run, so it ended up being a pretty exerting work out, which is good because it has to last me awhile. I won't have the opportunity to run (or blog) until Saturday, thanks to a ridiculous class schedule, a growing stack of thesis research, and the obligations of three part-time jobs. It seems as though I am either doing absolutely nothing, or everything at once, and I haven't quite figured out how to balance that. Maybe running will help me find that balance.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job staying motivated and pressing on even when time available is sparse! I think you are doing great!! I'm still working towards a 5K in May, but like you, time to train is not always there...but I'm committed.

    ReplyDelete