Running a few miles in a "new" pair of shoes


If you're reading this, it probably means you were navigated to my blog through a random filter or unsuccessful search engine. Unfortunate for you, good for me. If you read my blog you will find out that I am a 20-something, overweight female who picked up a pair of running shoes one day and decided to go for a jog. This is where I document my journey toward becoming an avid "runner", whatever that is. It may seem like a silly experiment, and it is. But it's also more than that. I am running for health, happiness and strength. I'm running to live.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Brick Wall #1

I'm SIIICCCKKK (insert screechy whiny voice here). My throat was a bit scratchy after my last run, but within a few hours that quickly turned into a full-blown head cold, complete with plenty of mucus, a sore throat, itchy eyes, a head that feels like it's about to explode. I had no idea my nose could be running and stuffed up at the same time. How does this happen?

It doesn't help that I am the worst sick person ever. I like to play strong, independent woman most days of the week, but once the sniffles start up I turn into a pathetic lump of flannel-wearing snot sitting on the couch feeling sorry for myself and penning multiple drafts of my last will and testament, just in case my poor virus-ridden body doesn't pull through.

Did I mention I won't be running today?

So I'm taking Dayquil (now) and Nyquil (later) and really hope that I will be able to get something resembling a run in tomorrow, before the whole idea of running just gets too big and scary to think about again. Even in my slight drug-induced fog I can see some positives here. For one, I would rather be sick now than once my classes start up next week. More importantly though, I know I will run up against many more daunting hurdles than this one on my journey toward becoming a "runner", and if I can get through this little test with my resolve and motivation in tact, I have a somewhat better chance of making it through the other ones coming my way.

2 comments:

  1. I feel for ya and have to say Nyquil is my best friend. I hope you get over this and back on your feet quickly. If not I'm here to kick your butt back into those shoes. I'll give you a *couple* days to get better though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and if I wasn't clear out here in the boonies I'd definitely bring you some soup!

    ReplyDelete