Running a few miles in a "new" pair of shoes


If you're reading this, it probably means you were navigated to my blog through a random filter or unsuccessful search engine. Unfortunate for you, good for me. If you read my blog you will find out that I am a 20-something, overweight female who picked up a pair of running shoes one day and decided to go for a jog. This is where I document my journey toward becoming an avid "runner", whatever that is. It may seem like a silly experiment, and it is. But it's also more than that. I am running for health, happiness and strength. I'm running to live.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

I'd Rather be Running...

As predicted, even more snow today. If you're thinking I did not choose the best time of year to "become" a runner, I won't disagree with you. What I really need are a pair of YakTrax so that a quick jog does not amount to a possible threat to my life. Unfortunately, I am unwilling/unable to spend $30.00 plus s/h for a pair, so I'll be without until a sweet deal comes up on craigslist, amazon or ebay.

What started out as a quick run yesterday, soon became a careful walk, and I was determined to find a better solution for today. I considered running the stairs in my apartment a few times, but they are old and creaky, and I didn't feel like ticking off all of my neighbors at once (my neighbors could also be described as old and creaky I suppose). After running in place for all of 15 seconds, with my two cats running in between my feet, I crossed that off my list as well, in part for the safety of my cats but mostly because I felt like a moron.

I finally got the bright idea to search my Netflix instant queue, and sure enough, there are a decent amount of workout videos on there. Note: I said a decent AMOUNT of videos, not that the videos themselves were decent. The best of the mix - and the one I eventually decided on called "10 Minute Solution: Target Toning for Beginners" with some ripped, spunky blond woman on the cover.

From the 5 or so options, I chose to focus on legs and arms, which meant I got to spend 20 lovely minutes with said spunky blond girl. Thought about doing abs, but after looking at the trainers 8-pack, I decided I didn't want to go there. We'll wait for the next snowed-in day for that one. It got the job done - didn't feel like much cardio, but definitely worked the muscles. It may be that I was doing the floor exercises on the hardwood, but my knees started to hurt after a bit (not real pain, just achy), so I guess I'll keep an eye on how they feel. Ten Minute girl was obnoxious, but the time did go by quickly, and I would have done a third session if I could have figured out how to put the subtitles up and mute her voice.

All in all, running was more fun, more fulfilling, and more motivating than rolling around in front of the TV with two cans of kidney beans (What? I don't have hand weights...), so I genuinely hope the weather cooperates tomorrow. Uh oh, Big_Shoes is supposed to be home soon and I promised to start dinner! Better hop to it!

2 comments:

  1. Haha, love your writing style! Thumbs up to finding a way to workout when stuck inside!I live in NY so I too have to work around the weather. Today I did my run on the stairs at work for 30 minutes. It was killer. But, I feel good that I got a workout in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I never intended to run or even exercise every day when I started (although I knew I should..) but I'm finding I get antsy lately if I don't do something to get my blood pumping. I might be singing a different tune when classes and work start up again. Are you using the C25K program too? Good luck and keep me updated!

    ReplyDelete