Running a few miles in a "new" pair of shoes


If you're reading this, it probably means you were navigated to my blog through a random filter or unsuccessful search engine. Unfortunate for you, good for me. If you read my blog you will find out that I am a 20-something, overweight female who picked up a pair of running shoes one day and decided to go for a jog. This is where I document my journey toward becoming an avid "runner", whatever that is. It may seem like a silly experiment, and it is. But it's also more than that. I am running for health, happiness and strength. I'm running to live.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Let hibernation-mode commence!

It didn't look good when I crawled out of bed this morning. The blue emergency snow lights about town were already blinking and weather.com somewhat ambiguously declared that there was a high possibility that there might be some snow within the next hour. After that, the hour-by-hour table pictures cute little snow flakes for the rest of the day (and night). I knew a storm was on its way, but from my apartment windows it didn't seem all that intimidating. Just a handful of flurries here and there. So I decided to give it a go while the option was still there. And I'm glad I did!

I got in the full run, plus an extra 15 minute walk, just for kicks (okay.. fine. I got lost again and had to wander my way home). The first eight minutes was surprisingly easy, and I was thrilled at my progress until I hit the next 8 minute stretch, which had me considering turning back about 45 seconds in. Miraculously, I got through the whole run no worse for wear, although the snow was beginning to come down a bit more noticeably by then.

Fast forward six hours later and the snow is coming down in horizontal sheets outside of my window. No, wait - I stand corrected, the snow is actually falling UP now. These aren't the cute, friendly flakes they show on weather.com either. More like the vicious, slap-you-in-the-face and take-an-eye-out variety. Looks like it's going to be a doozy, but that's fine with me. I got my run in, we have plenty of hot cocoa (although I may need to make a trip out for some peppermint schnapps), heat is included in the rent, and groceries are being delivered this weekend. Did I mention I also have all of next week off, for some unfathomable reason? Seems like classes just started, but I'm not one to complain. So bring on the snow. I'm already hyperventilating a bit about my next 20-minute run (what C25K guru thought it would be a good idea to go from 8 minutes to 20!?) so I could probably use a few days to mull it over and try to talk myself into it.

Anyway, it's Wednesday, which means I've got to go make sure I have everything to make up a delicious batch of blueberry banana waffles! It's okay to be jealous. Really.

1 comment:

  1. Hot cocoa sounds awesome right now. I've got two runs left this week. Tonight and probably tomorrow night. I'm still huffin and puffin but moving forward. You can do the 20 minutes!

    ReplyDelete