Running a few miles in a "new" pair of shoes


If you're reading this, it probably means you were navigated to my blog through a random filter or unsuccessful search engine. Unfortunate for you, good for me. If you read my blog you will find out that I am a 20-something, overweight female who picked up a pair of running shoes one day and decided to go for a jog. This is where I document my journey toward becoming an avid "runner", whatever that is. It may seem like a silly experiment, and it is. But it's also more than that. I am running for health, happiness and strength. I'm running to live.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Oh snap..

I've decided I need a camera. I read all of these blogs with great pictures and they are so much more FUN to read than my big ole blocks of text. Besides, how do you know I am running at all? I might just be blogging fictitiously in between Big Macs while I sit around in my underwear. I had a camera - admittedly it was 4 years old and already on its last legs - but it pooped out on me last Christmas. I'll have to get one before our cross-country road trip this summer. Just haven't figured out how..

Well even though I can't prove it, I did in fact run today. My longest run to date - in time and distance. I had heard through the Facebook grape-vine that a really good friend from back in the day just had a baby, so I decided to give my run a purpose. You see, Big_Shoes works at this wonderful little baby boutique called Magic Beans and since we obviously don't have much need for his 30% discount at this point in our lives, I'd never gotten around to checking it out.

After checking the route and distance and trying to convince myself I could run for 28 minutes straight, I took off. My legs were a bit stiff at first, and for a few minutes I felt an ache in the front of my left shin, but it seemed fade. My mental endurance seemed to come in waves. I'd start to get tired and think about slowing down but then I would reach the end of a leg and get a second wind. And a third wind. And a fourth wind. Eventually, I saw a big green building in front of me and knew I had made it. I pulled out my cell phone and saw my timer hit 28 minutes even just as I was slowing to a stop in front of the Magic Beans entry. Total Distance: 2.8 miles.

After Big_Shoes spent about 40 minutes showing me around and explaining how things work (I had no idea babies required so many accessories!!) I finally picked out an adorable soy-cloth onesie, a natural wood infant toy, and my favorite book of all time: The Giving Tree, by Shell Silverstein, which came with a free Book-on-Disc. Hopefully New Mama will enjoy, but either way I had a lot of fun picking it out! By the time I checked out and had everything gift-wrapped (for free!) Big_Shoes was clocking out and we took the bus home together.

All in all, a fun and productive Sunday. But I still have a ton of research and reading to do tonight if I'm going to make it through this week!

1 comment:

  1. Hey new_shoes, I'd reccomend my nikon Coolpix. Pretty good battery, great pictures and decent video. I have an older version but I love it. Also I changed the domain on my blog. lifeofsarahlynn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete